As I wrote earlier, olpcMAP designers and curators have been brainstorming and recording our ideas about olpcMAP.net. Some of us met in person, others wrote their vision and sent it by email. We discussed our objectives and possible solutions, main question was: What kind of product do we want to have? Based on everybody’s input, Shirish and I created a list called Desired (so far) functionality and questions:
1. Wibiya toolbar (or something similar) which provides simple code which can be embedded in the page and connects to Wibiya service. It allows connecting Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, chat and other networks for real-time chat and sparking conversations and collaboration.
2. Fix some standard icons for volunteers , deployments which can be directly used if the user doesn’t provide his/her own logo. Logo be kept of fixed size (should be used for tags, ex. Searching for literacy projects – they will look on the map as pencil and books icons)
3. Mass import of locations and associated properties in the map like already curated data.
4. A service which allows volunteers especially developers who want to filter the information from global map to some particular regions to get it in a standard format so that they can develop application around it. Even further if we can allow them to connect and feed information directly to map from their local maps . We will have to curate this information though based on some parameters.
6. Handling large number of dots with good response time. This becomes the most critical issue sometimes.
7. A service which can accept geo data via email/ twitter/mobile if provided in a specific format just like posterous /tumblr etc.
8. A realtime news which can be collected from OLPCnews/twitter and other channels and showing on map on separate layer for people interested in region specific information and a great way to pull more volunteers by showcasing their work (may be one a day). We can also plan to show one profile of active OLPC volunteer/team member each day on the map.
9. A big need for collaboration among different OLPC volunteers who are working on specific aspects like Hardware/ Software/Collaboration/Design/Blogging and if they can be provided a way to show only their specific groups, it may help build stronger relationships and help them reach to their goal quickly
11. Language Requirements
12. Search results should come in a list with updated first
13. Auto-tagging and tag search for two dozen tags (includes “hardware”,
“software”, “literacy”, “environment”).
14. Floating map of the world, perhaps?
15. Incorporate games – OLPC Strategy and/or Trivia
16. Where would people see references when they search for something (Volunteer, deployment or articles)
17. Who tags articles to deployments/volunteers?
18. Who sends articles, updates, newsletters?
19. Tentatively assign roles to people (like admin), assign mentors to geo/function areas, who make Twitter updates about the map and resolve complaints
20. To show results in clusters in Alphabetical order or some other logical order!
21. Should these mass points be in a cluster (like South Carolina or
Australia) or not. Who do we ask? (who wants clusters for countries anyways???)