On Jan 21 SJ posted an update about work in CrisisCamps and Haiti OLPC http://blog.laptop.org/2010/01/21/olpc-for-haiti/
On Jan 24, two very special guest speakers were invited to the meeting:
“Please join us 4PM Sunday Boston Time (TODAY) where http://waveplace.com founder Tim Falconer will discuss his foundation’s vision for progressively expanding its XO deployments around Haiti, which thankfully all appear to have survived the earthquake.
And if there is time Nick Doiron (CMU / Haiti Community Mapping Software Developer) will discuss his preliminary work, and possible integration with existing community-mapping/community-informatics tools for Haiti, like http://haiti.ushahidi.com and http://hypercube.telascience.org/haiti“
Adam Holt wrote:
Sunday Jan 24 – Tim Falconer, Waveplace Founder
How WE can help Haitians help THEMSELVES:
Structuring Sustainable Haiti Grassroots OLPC Projects
http://crisiscamp.org (PLZ PARTICIPATE IN YR OWN CITY SATURDAY)
Nick Doiron, CMU, Haiti Community Mapping Software Developer
Summary for those who missed the call — these are Tim’s answers to Christoph’s question on how the global OLPC Community can support http://waveplace.com ‘s continuing / fast-evolving work in Haiti — a vision that clearly isn’t 100% finalized yet but in any case will profoundly benefit if you:
1. Donate Money so Haitian teachers/mentors/deployment experts can be paid: http://waveplace.com
2. Ship XO’s not being used, to his non-profit Foundation: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Donate_Your_Get_One
3. e-Books: FIND THE BEST copyright-free storybook others, and curate/organize them like a proper librarian please! Entertainment based initially, Deep Learning later. (Bastien: can you share your publisher leads with Tim, SJ & I?)
4. Translator & transcriber Volunteers Needed: English or French to Creole especially– can Elissa Carmichael from Miami’s CrisisCamp working with the Haitian Diaspora community there please explain how we can All facilitate beyond http://translate.sugarlabs.org and http://wiki.crisiscommons.org/wiki/Languages_and_Translation ?
5. Find/Recruit the best Mentors for kids, on the ground in Haiti especially, starting right now…